Day five of Knit and Crochet Design Week is about problems you’ve encountered in turning your design into reality. Aside from time and wonky internet (hence a day late on this post), my biggest challenge thus far in creating my “meadow” is the curve. I wanted a base with rounded and perhaps irregular edges rather than something straight or square. And I wanted it to bend a bit. I found a few ideas through online searches, but wasn’t sure what would be the best strategy–so I threw a few in there!
As I made each row, I added a stitch at the end on one side, and left off one on the other. Irregular: check. But soon it was time to get a curve in there. I started but increasing the size of my stitch about halfway through the row. I did this for a row or two and then increased the size of my bigger stitch again.
This was starting to work and one side was definitely getting bigger than the other, but without a pronounced curve. Then, with every other larger stitch, I made two. The third row like this started to get wavy (life a ruffle), so I ended up taking it out and reverting back to a smaller stitch. That’s brought me to here.
I’m not sure yet whether I’ll add more rows to the bottom section. And I’d like the top to be less of a hard edge, so I may do some adding to it as well. I don’t think I want the overall shape to get that much larger though–or else I’ll have to make even more trees. A curvy path is next on the list.